Whatifsports

Monday, March 12, 2007

First signing: Steinbach to aid O-line

Ok, so let's review the signings thus far. The first guy the Browns nabbed was former Bengals offensive lineman Eric Steinbach. He started 62 of the 63 games he appeared in, and while primarily a guard, he also saw time at left tackle and center. Steinbach was drafted in 2003 in the 2nd round out of Iowa by the Bungles. He was reportedly on the Browns draft radar that year, but after taking center Jeff Faine in the 1st round, the Browns chose not to pick another lineman and instead drafted LB Chaun Thompson in the 2nd.

According the the Plain Dealer, Steinbach was so impressed with the Browns that he cancelled his planned visits to other teams and signed immediately with the Browns. "This is my first visit and I kind of had a gut feeling. As soon as I sat down and talked to the coaches and the personnel people up in the front office, I knew this was the right place for me." Steinbach said. His contract is reportedly worth $49.5 million, with $17 million guaranteed.

I think this is a good signing for the Browns. In a weak free-agent market the Browns signed one of the better players and arguably the best offensive lineman available. Don't get me wrong, he's no Charles Bentley, but if he stays healthy he'll immediately pay more dividends than Bentley has been able so far. He should be able to step in and immediately help the team. Is he worth what they paid him? Probably not, but in the current system of free-agency, teams have alot of cash to pursue middle of the road players.
I hope the Browns use him at his natural position of guard. Although he is versatile, I think that he would be less effective as a tackle. However, if the Browns don't draft LT Joe Thomas from Wisconsin with the 3rd pick and/or Ryan Tucker has a relapse, I wouldn't be surprised to see Steinbach moved to tackle--maybe even LT, with Kevin Schaffer moving to RT to replace Tucker.

No comments:

Powered by WebRing.